Tuesday, July 9, 2013

LAST KNOWN PHOTO OF FLW




I know you have all seen this photo before; I have even used it previously in the blog for an  earlier article.  However, it is significant in that it is the last photo portrait taken of Wright prior to his passing in 1959.  It was taken by Pedro Guerrero who Wright hired in 1939 to be the official photographer at Taliesen West.  He worked for Wright up until he was drafted during World War II. When he returned from service in 1945 he continued to work for Wright as an on call photographer, travelling the country photographing new Wright projects.  Guerrero worked for other notable artists to include Alexander Calder, but his daughter noted that when Wright called, her father would drop everything to do whatever work Wright had in mind.  Guerrero became a talent in his own right and his work is well regarded.  He credits Wright with teaching him the finer points of his art.  He lived at both Taliesen's  for several seasons with Wright as his artistic mentor.  Until very recently he resided and practiced his craft at his home in Florence AZ.  He recently passed away on September 13, 2012 at the age of 95.  Our Director, Reine, informed me that Guerrero visited Grayclff in 2011 and forwarded the following photo of that visit..

Pedro Guerrero at Graycliff



In the Spring of 1959 Wright invited him to Taliesen West to photograph recent changes he had made to the site. This photo was taken at that time.  Of that visit Guerrero has said, "At nearly 91 years of age, Mr. Wright had many commissions, was happy, and seemingly as full of life as ever.  During that visit I took this photo of him.  It turned out to be his last portrait.  He died three weeks later."

Of personal interest to at least me, I recognize the room the photo was taken in.  When I visited Taliesen West this past Winter I sat in that room and rested my arm on that same table.  I wish I had known the connection at the time.  Another tidbit of information to add to our ever increasing warehouse of Wright knowledge and understanding.

(Information FLW Quarterly Winter 2012 Vol. 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment